Single-Span Beam with Asymmetric Cross-Section
Model to Download
The reason for this warning is that asymmetric cross-sections cannot be designed by using the methods mentioned in 6.3.3 of EN&nbso;1993‑1‑1 or General Method according to 6.3.4 of EN 1993‑1‑1.
The RF-/STEEL EC3 add-on module automatically transfers the buckling line to be used for the flexural buckling analysis for a cross-section from the cross-section properties. In particular for general cross -sections, but also for special cases, the assignment of the buckling line can be adjusted manually in the module input.
SHAPE-THIN determines the effective cross-sections according to EN 1993-1-3 and EN 1993-1-5 for cold-formed sections. You can optionally check the geometric conditions for the applicability of the standard specified in EN 1993‑1‑3, Section 5.2.
The effects of local plate buckling are considered according to the method of reduced widths and the possible buckling of stiffeners (instability) is considered for stiffened sections according to EN 1993-1-3, Section 5.5.
As an option, you can perform an iterative calculation to optimize the effective cross-section.
You can display the effective cross-sections graphically.
Read more about designing cold-formed sections with SHAPE-THIN and RF-/STEEL Cold-Formed Sections in this technical article: Design of a Thin-Walled, Cold-Formed C-Section According to EN 1993-1-3.
- Why are the equivalent member designs grayed out in the Stability tab when activating the plastic designs by using the partial internal force method (RF‑/STEEL Plasticity)?
- In connection with the calculation according to the large deformation analysis, I get significantly smaller deformations than for the calculation according to the linear static or second-order analysis. How is this possible?
- How does the activation of the precamber imperfection work?
- Are the models and presentations from Info Day 2020 freely available, and can you send them to me?
- Why do I obtain great differences in results for both the deformation and the bending moments when applying inclination by using imperfection to a single member and an articulated set of members with the same total length?
- Are the models and presentations from Info Day 2017 freely available, and can you send them to me?
- I perform a stability analysis of a beam for lateral-torsional buckling. Why is the modified reduction factor χLT,mod used in the design according to DIN EN 1993‑1‑1, 6.3.3 Method 2? Is it possible to deactivate this?
- I need to define different types of lateral intermediate restrains for a single element in RF-/STEEL EC3. Is this possible?
- I compare the flexural buckling design according to the equivalent member method and the internal forces according to the linear static analysis with the stress calculation according to the second-order analysis including imperfections. The differences are very large. What is the reason?
How can I perform a stability/buckling analysis on a load-bearing structure?