Bamboo Stalactite in Venice, Italy
The "Bamboo Stalactite" is a project representing Vietnam at the 16th edition of the Venice Biennale for Architecture. La Biennale di Architettura di Venezia is an international exhibition held every 2 years in Venice (Italy), in which architects from all over the world participate, presenting their projects.
|Investor||Biennale di Venezia|
|Structural Design||Ergodomus Timber Engineering|
|Architectural Design||Vo Trong Nghia (VTN) architects|
The way the bamboo is worked, folded, and tied gives the installation its particular shape, with a high esthetic impact and great solidity, without using nails.
It is a temporary bamboo building located in the Venetian Arsenal, with a floor plan shape that fits in a rectangle of 46.92 x 90.22 ft, reaching a maximum height of 19.69 ft. The stalactite-like structure is made up of a series of modules with a rhombic covering whose load-bearing structure is made up of two bamboo struts that are locked in place on a steel plate where two tubular elements are welded.
Wind is the governing action affecting the structure. The action was calculated assuming a partially opaque surface, as the "Bamboo Stalactite" is composed of a lattice consisting of bamboo members. Concrete ballasts hold back the wind's vertical and horizontal action. Since the structure has no foundation, the supports on the ground are defined as non-reactive to tension.
Do you have further questions or need advice? Contact us via phone, email, chat, or forum, or search the FAQ page, available 24/7.
In this article, the adequacy of a 2x4 dimension lumber subject to combined bi-axial bending and axial compression is verified using RF-/TIMBER AWC add-on module. The beam-column properties and loading are based on example E1.8 of AWC Structural Wood Design Examples 2015/2018.
RF-/JOINTS Timber - Timber to Timber Add-on Module for RFEM/RSTAB | Design of Direct Timber Connections According to Eurocode 5
RF-/TIMBER SANS Add-on Module for RFEM/RSTAB | Design of Timber Members According to SANS 10163 (South African Code)
RF-/TIMBER CSA Add-on Module for RFEM/RSTAB | Design of Timber Members According to CSA 086 (Canadian Code)
- How does the "Orthotropic Plastic" material model work in RFEM?
- What is the meaning of the superposition according to the CQC rule in a dynamic analysis??
- How can I display the internal forces in the global coordinate system and not in the principal coordinate system of the cross-section?
- Can I use RFEM to calculate a log house three-dimensionally?
- How do I display some results of all load cases in the printout report, but other results of selected load cases only?
- I would like to carry out the flexural buckling design for timber components with imperfections and internal forces according to the second-order analysis. Is it sufficient to activate this in Details of the RF‑/TIMBER Pro add-on module or is it necessary to make additional settings?
- Can I design laminated veneer lumber with RFEM/RSTAB?
- How can I calculate a timber-concrete composite floor with cross-laminated timber?
- Is it possible to save the structures of the manufacturer-specific cross-laminated timber plates in the RF‑LAMINATE add-on module?
- How is it possible to display the main support direction graphically in RF‑LAMINATE?