ETFE is a high-performance plastic material with many favorable properties for membrane structures. The up to 95% translucent foils made of the ETFE material are mainly convincing due to their resistance to weather conditions and aging.
The material is often used for pneumatically supported foil cushions. Due to their low weight and the ability to compensate high loads by plastic deformations, these foil cushions under pressure are used for building roofs and envelopes.
The nonlinear material behavior of ETFE dependent on the temperature and load exposure time can be simulated in RFEM by using the RF‑MAT‑NL add‑on module.
The RF‑FORM‑FINDING add‑on module can be activated in the ‘Edit Model - General Data’ window, ‘Options’ tab. By activating the module, a new RF‑FORM‑FINDING load case is created and an additional menu appears in the main program, allowing for the definition of prestress conditions for membrane and cable elements.
Section of drawing with top view (top) and section through roof (bottom, © FHS Ingeniería Estructural Ltda.)
With the activated option "Topology on form-finding shape" in the Project Navigator - Display, the model display is optimized based on the form-finding geometry. For example, the loads are displayed in relation to the deformed system.
- How do I model a tent roof with two cone tips?
- I would like to calculate and design "temporary structures." What do I need for this?
- I have already divided my membrane roof into individual surfaces. Can I quickly create a cutting pattern from these surfaces?
- How is an inflatable object simulated in RFEM?
- How can I define a material allowance at the edge of a cutting pattern?
- I have modeled a structure made of outer and inner cables as well as membranes, and get a message about instability or the error message "Jacobi matrix is not positive definite" in the RF‑FORM‑FINDING add-on module. What should I do?
- Why does the FE mesh of my conical membrane look like angular after the form-finding?
- How to model a cable net structure in using the RF-FORM-FINDING add-on module?
- Which Dlubal Software programs are required to calculate membrane and tensile structures?
- I would like to analyze cable and tensile structures. Is it possible to use RFEM or RSTAB for this?