Dimensioning of Longitudinal Reinforcement for Serviceability Limit State Design 1
Tips & Tricks
In RF-CONCRETE Members and CONCRETE and you have the option for “Dimensioning of Longitudinal Reinforcement for Serviceability Limit State.” You can select the layout criteria for the calculation of the longitudinal reinforcement in a details dialog box.
The SLS designs to be performed according to DIN EN 1992‑1‑1 include for example the
- Limitation of concrete stress σc according to 7.2 (1)
- Limitation of steel stress σs according to 7.2 (4)
- Minimum reinforcement min As according to 7.3.2 (2)
- Limit diameter lim ds according to Table 7.2
- Maximum rebar spacing lim sl according to Table 7.3
- Limitation of crack width wk according to 7.3.1 (5) and 7.3.4
- Limitation of deflection u according to 7.4
It is not required that all designs mentioned above are always fulfilled. So you can for example do without the design of concrete and steel stresses, if:
- The internal forces have been determined according to the elasticity theory and not more than 15% have been shifted in the ULS design
- The rules according to Chapter 9 in Eurocode 2 have been observed.
By deactivating several designs (for example stress designs) in the details dialog box for the reinforcement layout, programs will not consider these designs when determining the longitudinal reinforcement. However, the available results (for example concrete and steel stresses with loading in the serviceability limit state) are still displayed in Tables 4.1 to 4.4.
Part 2 will describe in detail the function “Find economical reinforcement for crack width design.”
Do you have any questions or need advice?
Contact us or find various suggested solutions and useful tips on our FAQ page.