Modeling Downstand Beams in Cross-Laminated Timber Constructions with Ribs
Tips & Tricks
This time, we want to look at modeling downstand beams by means of ribs.
In RFEM 5, ribs are also possible as orthotropic surfaces. Since orthotropic surfaces can be curved, the ribs can also be curved.
Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Bastian Kuhn, M.Sc.
Product Engineering & Customer Support
Mr. Kuhn is responsible for the development of products for timber structures and provides technical support for our customers.
Do you have questions or need advice?
Contact our free e-mail, chat, or forum support or find various suggested solutions and useful tips on our FAQ page.
For a timber connection, as shown in Figure, you can take into account the torsional spring rigidity (spring stiffness for rotation) of the connections. You can determine it by means of the slip modulus of the fastener and the polar moment of inertia of the connection.
RFEM/RSTAB add-on module RF-/JOINTS Timber-Timber to Timber | Design of direct timber connections according to Eurocode 5
RFEM/RSTAB add-on module RF-/TIMBER SANS | Design of members made of timber according to SANS 10163 (South African standard)
The cross-section resistance design analyzes tension and compression along the grain, bending, bending and tension/compression as well as the strength in shear due to shear force.
The design of structural components at risk of buckling or lateral-torsional buckling is performed according to the Equivalent Member Method and considers the systematic axial compression, bending with and without compressive force as well as bending and tension. Deflection of inner spans and cantilevers is compared to the maximal allowable deflection.
Separate design cases allow for a flexible and stability analysis of members, sets of members, and loads.
Design-relevant parameters such as the stability analysis type, member slendernesses, and limit deflections can be freely adjusted.
- In RF-/TIMBER AWC and RF-/TIMBER CSA, I receive the error that says torsion limit exceeded. How do I bypass this error message?
- Is it possible to set user-defined values when viewing solid stress results?
- How are the signs for the release results of a line release and line hinges interpreted?
- How can I create a curved or arched section?
- How can I get the member end forces to design the connections?
- I design timber components. The deformations of load combinations deviate from the manual calculation exactly by the factor of the material partial safety factor. Why?
- Is it possible to display more values for the stress distribution over the layers in RF‑LAMINATE?
- I would expect the results from my load combination (CO) set to a linear analysis to equal the summation of the results from my load cases (LC) also set to a linear analysis. Why do the results not match?
- How can I design dowel-laminated timber (DLT) or nail-laminated timber (NLT) in RFEM?
- Which Dlubal Software programs can I use to calculate and design timber structures?
Structural engineering software for finite element analysis (FEA) of planar and spatial structural systems consisting of plates, walls, shells, members (beams), solids and contact elements