Similarly to a cross-section of a beam component, the composition can be seen as a cross-section of a surface component. By optimally determining the type and position of a layer, it is possible to improve specific global properties of a composite surface when compared to a similar single-layer, homogeneous surface with respect to its application area. In the area of structural engineering, the multilayer components are thus used in many places.
Selected Compositions in Structural Engineering
- Sandwich panel made of a foam insulation core and two outer metal cover plates
- Cross-laminated timber panel made of several board layers lying cross-flat on top of each other
- Insulated glass pane consisting of at least two glass panes with a gas layer between them
Implementation in RFEM
RF-LAMINATE can analyse laminate surfaces (for example, cross-laminated timber) according to Laminate Theory and RF‑GLASS can analyse compound panes of insulating glass.
The number of degrees of freedom in a node is no longer a global calculation parameter in RFEM (6 degrees of freedom for each mesh node in 3D models, 7 degrees of freedom for the warping torsion analysis). Thus, each node is generally considered with a different number of degrees of freedom, which leads to a variable number of equations in the calculation.
This modification speeds up the calculation, especially for models where a significant reduction of the system could be achieved (e.g. trusses and membrane structures).
- How can I create a curved or curved section?
- How are the signs to be interpreted for the release results of the line release and line hinges?
- After the design with RF-/TIMBER Pro, I had a cross-section optimized. Why is the utilization of the optimized cross -section now exceeded?
- Is it possible to design the support pressure or the sleeper pressure in RX-TIMBER?
- Why are the stresses of the 90 ° orientation not displayed in RF-LAMINATE for a layer with the orthotropic direction 90 ° for σb, 90?
- How can I get the member end forces to design the connections?
- I design timber components. The deformations of load combinations deviate from the manual calculation exactly by the factor of the material partial safety factor. Why?
- How can I run the RX‑TIMBER Frame plugin? I did not find it in the Add-on Modules menu nor in Project Navigator - Data.
- I have a question about the results of the serviceability limit state design: How is the increment of the dead load by the factor 1.8 and the imposed load by 1.48 explained in the result combinations for the SLS design?
- Where can I adjust the effective length lef according to Table 6.1 of Eurocode 5 in the TIMBER Pro add-on module?
Structural engineering software for finite element analysis (FEA) of planar and spatial structural systems consisting of plates, walls, shells, members (beams), solids and contact elements
Deflection analysis and stress design of laminate and sandwich surfaces
Design of single-layer, laminated and insulating glass