Einklappen
X

• Filter
  • Zeit
  • Anzeigen
Alles löschen
neue Beiträge

• Buckling in l member

What’s the correct way to study bucking in an L member? I’m studying it with the following methods, and results are very different:

Case 1: Stability analysis according to 6.3.1. I define in RF-Steel effective lengths from RF-Stability. Ratio: 1.05
    Case 2: Stability analysis according to 6.3.4. Ratio: 1.03
    Case 3: 7 GDL. Ratio: 1.97
    Case 4: I use RF-IMP to generate pre-deformed model and I study resistance in RF-Steel. Ratio: 1.92
    Zuletzt geändert von Helena Goni; 07.01.2022, 17:31.

Hello,

the differences between case 1 and case 2 are small and, in my opinion, are due to the different methods.

It is very interesting that case 3 shows a much larger ratio. I would guess that the problem is not purely a buckling problem, but that lateral torsional buckling also plays a role.

Case 4 should actually come out with something similar to cases 1 or 2. You might want to check the FE mesh.

Perform the test with a slightly smaller load so that the ratio in case 1 is less than 1.0. The load in the range above 1 is not necessarily the same for different methods.

Check whether the same cross-section classes were used for the verification in cases 1 and 4.

Frank Faulstich
    Support Team der
    Dlubal Software GmbH
    [email protected]
    https://www.dlubal.com

Kommentar

Thanks Frank!

I’ve performed the test with a slightly smaller load, and this is the result:
      Case 1: Stability analysis according to 6.3.1. I define in RF-Steel effective lengths from RF-Stability. Ratio: 0.96
      Case 2: Stability analysis according to 6.3.4. Ratio: 0.95
      Case 3: 7 GDL. Ratio: 1.24
      Case 4: I use RF-IMP to generate pre-deformed model and I study resistance in RF-Steel. Ratio: 1.18

I’m really surprised because ratio in cases 3 and 4 has decreased a lot! The first test was considering a factor 0.60, and now I’ve changed it to 0.55:
      Klicke auf die Grafik für eine vergrößerte Ansicht

Name: VTqtGf3.png
Ansichten: 101
Größe: 3,6 KB
ID: 3566

This is the model and the mesh:

Name: nilSQJR.png
Ansichten: 79
Größe: 27,1 KB
ID: 3567

I’m testing the left member.

Kommentar

Hello Helena, the FE mesh looks good. It should be fine enough.

Do you see any torsion in the deformation in case 3?

The difference in ratio from case 4 to case 1 seems a bit large to me. If you attach the model here, I'll take a closer look.

Frank Faulstich
        Support Team der
        Dlubal Software GmbH
        [email protected]

Kommentar

Hi Frank, it seems to me there is torsion in case 3, but I think there is also torsion in Stability. I'm not sure.

I attach the model. Thank you!
          Angehängte Dateien

Kommentar

Hi Helena, this is a really interesting example. It is more complicated than it looks at first view.

In my opinion, the results of cases 3 and 6 are correct.

Let's have a look at the deformation from LC 2:

Name: 5728.png
Ansichten: 91
Größe: 26,5 KB
ID: 3573

So the whole system is twisting. This results in these bending moments:

Name: 5729.png
Ansichten: 83
Größe: 28,0 KB
ID: 3574

In the calculation with 7DOF, these are also present:

Name: 5727.png
Ansichten: 78
Größe: 98,6 KB
ID: 3575

I think, with the procedures according to 6.3.1 and 6.3.4 this effect cannot be considered correctly.

Frank Faulstich
            Support Team der
            Dlubal Software GmbH
            [email protected]

Kommentar

Ok, thank you so much!

You’re right, what I’ve written here as case 4 is in the RFEM file case 6 (I forgot to change the number). Just in case someone want to check the results.

Kommentar

Lädt...
              X