X

• Filter
  • Zeit
  • Anzeigen
Alles löschen
neue Beiträge

• importing volume geometry

Hello,
    I'm trying to import a volume model in RFEM 5.23.
    I tried:
    • from rhino (closed polysurface) the export: produces only surfaces in dlubal.
    • IGES, STP files are imported as surfaces
    • IFC file has volumes converted to members, assuming the prevailing direction. The approach is really useful in many circumstances, but I would like to perform an accurate computation on a solid model.
    How could a solid model be imported? I'm unable to find a correct procedure.
    Thanks in advance

Hello Theo,
    about your points:
    1) True, we are not able to import solids as solid into RFEM. At best, we get the boundary surfaces. But I will keep it in mind for future developments.
    2) Partially correct. If you use "File" - "Import" - "STEP...." you will most likely receive the boundary surfaces. An alternative way is shown in the attached video. You need to activate the CAD/BIM model first. Afterwards you can import the *stp File via the CAD/BIM Navigator. The last step is the conversion of the objects into a solid via the context menu.
    So this could be a workaround.
    3) Same would work for IFC-Files if you use the CAD/BIM Model.

Video: www.dlubal.de/download/temp/Video_LS_Forum.mp4

Best Regards
    Lukas
    Support Team der
    Dlubal Software GmbH
    [email protected]
    https://www.dlubal.com/de

Kommentar

Thank you Lukas,
      the CAD/BIM procedure is a good starting point (it seems to me that the limit is the fact that each imported file is considered as a unique volume, thus it is important to perform some volume boolean operations before importing, considering the volumes/materials). Anyway I don't see this a limitation (all those operation are to be performed in any case, either in the CAD or in the FEA preprocessor).

Yours sincerely,
      Theo

Kommentar

Hello Theo,
        in general, it is OK to work with multiple solids. If they are placed next to each other, they will act as if they are glued to each other. So it doesn't matter if you split a big solid up into multiple elements.
        We did now some optimizations for solids in the Rhino Export.
        We are able to Export solids from the type "Polysurface" as solid into RFEM (Null-Solid, so you have to assign the material afterwards). That may come with RFEM 5.24.01.

www.dlubal.de/download/temp/Video2_LS_Forum.mp4

Best Regards
        Lukas
        Support Team der
        Dlubal Software GmbH
        [email protected]
        https://www.dlubal.com/de

Kommentar

Many thanks Lukas for all the infos.
          Theo

Kommentar

Lädt...