WebService and API
Programmable Interface for RFEM 6, RSTAB 9, and RSECTION 1
"I think the Dlubal webinars and the extensive information on the website are very professional and really great!"
WebService and API is a programmable interface for RFEM 6; RSTAB 9, and RSECTION 1. This technology is the basis of a server service that the programs RFEM 6, RSTAB 9, and RSECTION 1 provide for you. You can use this server service either locally or via the network. Have you already discovered the client-server communication? They allow you to send your requests to and receive feedback from RFEM 6, RSTAB 9, and RSECTION 1.
You can use the WebService very easily and intuitively. To ensure this, high-level libraries are available for the programming languages Python and C#, which you can use completely free of charge on GitHub under an open-source license. In order to be able to work with it comfortably, you can customize the high-level libraries to fit your own needs. Contributions to our repositories are always welcome.
Have little or no experience with programming in Python? Don't worry, it's not that difficult. The video tutorial Programming with RFEM 6 and Python will help you get started.
FeaturesWebService and API provide you with the option of communicating with RFEM, RSTAB, and RSECTION using high-level functions. You can use it to create your web or desktop applications and optimize your workflow. There is also an RFEM 6 server that runs on your computer without a GUI, but only responds to your WebService requests.
One thing is absolutely undisputed: WebService and API covers universal aspects in the construction industry. However, there is an issue. For the calculation and design, you need different features for each region, country, company, and civil engineer. Everyone has their own requirements. We have solved this problem. Since with WebService and API, you can easily create your very own calculation and design system. Always at your side: The performance and reliability of RFEM, RSTAB, and RSECTION.
The need for adapted and automated structural analysis and design is constantly increasing. WebService technology allows you to create special functionalities quickly and precisely. Our customers can develop such solutions independently or in cooperation with us. Convince yourself and try it out!
WebService and API provide you various scope of application. We have summarized some ideas as to how WebService and API can support your company:
- Creating additional applications for RFEM 6, RSTAB 9, and RSECTION 1
- Possibility to make the workflows more efficient (for example, model definition and input) and to integrate RFEM 6, RSTAB 9, and RSECTION 1 into your company applications
- Simulating and calculating several design options
- Running optimization algorithms for size, shape, and/or topology
- Accessing the calculation results
- Generation of printout reports in the PDF format
The level of quality of the work is automatically increased not only by the algorithmic model definitions, but also by:
- Extending/consolidating RFEM 6, RSTAB 9, and RSECTION 1 with your own controls
- Increased interoperability between the individual software used to complete a project
What is WebService and API?
Communication is the key to success. This also applies to a client-server relation. WebService and API provides you with an XML based information exchange system for direct client-server communication. Programs, objects, messages, or documents can be integrated into these systems. For example, a web service protocol of the HTTP type runs for the client-server communication when you are looking for something in the Internet using a search engine.
- WebService is a collection of open source protocols and standards used to exchange data between systems and applications. In contrast, an application programming interface (API), is a software interface through which two applications can interact without a user being involved.
- Thus, all web services are APIs, but not all APIs are web services.
- You will be able to communicate more quickly within and among organizations.
- A service can be independent of other services.
- By WebService you can use your application to make your message or feature accessible to the rest of the world.
- WebService helps you to exchange data between different applications and platforms.
- Several applications can communicate, exchange data, and share services with each other.
- SOAP ensures that programs created on different platforms and based on different programming languages can exchange data securely.
In theory, a web service can be created with any programming language. However, we, the Dlubal team, have decided for another way. We have created high-level function libraries for our users. With these high-level function libraries, you can create powerful scripts by simple programming. These libraries include:
- RFEM-Python High-Level Functions
- RSTAB-Python High-Level Functions
- RSECTION-Python High-Level Functions
- C# High-Level Functions
- Simple and easy to learn
- Still very powerful
- Many extensions and libraries available
- Many resources available on the Internet
Do you have any questions about our products or which are best suited for your design projects? Contact us via phone, email, chat, or forum, or search the FAQ page, available 24/7.
Practical Applications Using Python and RFEM 6 | 2D Truss Generator
This article looks at a practical use case of programming a 2D Truss Generator GUI with Python.
- I have a 3D model and try to split it up into "walls" and "surfaces" with the Building Model and to calculate them separately. However, my structural system becomes unstable then. What can be the reason?
- Is the Tekla AddIn installed automatically in RFEM 6?
- How can I export or import an IFC file in RFEM 6 / RSTAB 9?
Customers who bought this product also bought
First, the two-part Optimization & Costs / CO2 Emission Estimation add-on finds suitable parameters for parameterized models and blocks via the artificial intelligence (AI) technique of particle swarm optimization (PSO) for compliance with common optimization criteria. Second, this add-on estimates the model costs or CO2 emissions by specifying unit costs or emissions per material definition for the structural model.
The Multilayer Surfaces add-on allows you to define multilayer surface structures. The calculation can be carried out with or without the shear coupling.
Earthquakes may have a significant impact on the deformation behavior of buildings. A pushover analysis allows you to analyze the deformation behavior of buildings and compare them with seismic actions. Using the Pushover add-on, you can analyze the seismic actions on a particular building and thus assess whether the building can withstand the earthquake.