Modeling with RFEM 5 | 006 Truss Girder
Model to Download
Model Used in
When connecting tension-loaded components with bolted connections, the cross-section weakening due to the bolt holes must be considered in the ultimate limit state design. The following article describes how the design of the tension resistance according to DIN EN 1993-1-1 can be performed with the net cross-section area of the tension member in the RF-/STEEL EC3 add-on module.
SHAPE-THIN determines the effective cross-sections according to EN 1993-1-3 and EN 1993-1-5 for cold-formed sections. You can optionally check the geometric conditions for the applicability of the standard specified in EN 1993‑1‑3, Section 5.2.
The effects of local plate buckling are considered according to the method of reduced widths and the possible buckling of stiffeners (instability) is considered for stiffened sections according to EN 1993-1-3, Section 5.5.
As an option, you can perform an iterative calculation to optimize the effective cross-section.
You can display the effective cross-sections graphically.
Read more about designing cold-formed sections with SHAPE-THIN and RF-/STEEL Cold-Formed Sections in this technical article: Design of a Thin-Walled, Cold-Formed C-Section According to EN 1993-1-3.
- I would like to calculate and design "temporary structures." What do I need for this?
- How can I additionally model welds for the connection of two surfaces with a contact solid?
- Are the models and presentations from Info Day 2017 freely available, and can you send them to me?
- Are the models and presentations from Info Day 2015 freely available, and can you send them to me?
- The calculation of my model results in unrealistically high stresses at many locations. What is the reason?
- How can I model a support of a member on a bracket with screws?
- Are the models and presentations from Info Day 2019 freely available, and can you send them to me?
- Are the models and presentations from Info Day 2018 freely available and can you send them to me?
- I encountered a sharing violation while importing a dxf file into Shape-Thin. What is the issue?
- How can I display membrane stresses in the results of RF‑STEEL Surfaces?