Hinged Support of Steel Column
Model to Download
Model created by the technical team of Dlubal Latam. Model is also available as parameterized block at Dlubal Latam site.
- Views 226x
- Downloads 38x
- Updated 01/07/2022
- Number of Nodes 98
- Number of Lines 106
- Number of Members 1
- Number of Surfaces 32
- Number of Solids 0
- Number of Load Cases 0
- Number of Load Combinations 0
- Number of Result Combinations 0
- Total Weight 0.427 t
- Dimensions 2,81 x 2,87 x 1,97 feet
Defining the appropriate effective length is crucial to obtain the correct member design capacity. For X-bracing that is connected at the center, the engineers often wonder if the full end-to-end length of the member shall be used or using half of the length to where the members are connected is sufficient.
This article outlines the recommendations given by the AISC and provides an example on how to specify the effective length of the X-braces in RFEM.
For the joint components, it is possible to check whether the stability failure is relevant (requires the Structure Stability add-on for RFEM 6 / RSTAB 9).
In this case, the critical load factor for all analyzed load combinations and the selected number of mode shapes is calculated for the connection model. The smallest critical load factor is compared with the limit value 15 from the standard EN 1993‑1‑1, Clause 5. Furthermore, a user-defined adjustment of the limit value is possible. Moreover, the corresponding mode shapes are displayed graphically as the result of the stability analysis.
For the stability analysis, an adapted surface model is used to specifically recognize the local buckling shapes. The model of the stability analysis, including the results, can also be saved and used as a separate model file.
- How can I neglect torsion in the steel and timber design?
- Is it possible to display the deformation analysis of a surface (limit 0.5‰)?
- How do I perform stability analysis to determine the critical load factor in RFEM 6?
- How can I optimize cross-sections within the steel design?
- Where can I find the materials for the corresponding National Annexes in RFEM 6 and RSTAB 9?
- How do I apply wind load on members of open structures?
- Is it also possible to use RF‑/TOWER Loading without the other TOWER add-on modules?
- I do not want to design a cross-section in the RF‑/STEEL EC3 add-on module. Can I quickly remove this cross-section from the selection?
- I have a roof structure resting on a steel column that runs to the foundations. The column runs through a perimeter wall that supports the false ceiling. A considerable part of the load from the roof is transferred to the wall. I want the steel column to carry all the vertical loads from the roof. How can I do it?
- Are the models and presentations from Info Day 2018 freely available, and can you send them to me?