Model to Download
This model was used to explain the member modeling perpendicular to an existing member.
Model Used in
For a frame trussed from below, compression members are to be modelled perpendicular to the inclined beam. The member length and the intersection with the horizontal beam are defined.
Dlubal online service with extensive cross-section libraries and determination of cross-section properties for structural design
Wind load simulation of the CIMU - ILE DE SEGUIN, Paris, in the digital wind tunnel in RWIND Simulation (© www.bouygues.com)
Pressure distribution of a residential building with a garage in the digital wind tunnel by RWIND Simulation
Dlubal YouTube channel with detailed, technical webinars for self-study on various structural analysis topics
SHAPE-THIN determines the effective cross-sections according to EN 1993-1-3 and EN 1993-1-5 for cold-formed sections. You can optionally check the geometric conditions for the applicability of the standard specified in EN 1993‑1‑3, Section 5.2.
The effects of local plate buckling are considered according to the method of reduced widths and the possible buckling of stiffeners (instability) is considered for stiffened sections according to EN 1993-1-3, Section 5.5.
As an option, you can perform an iterative calculation to optimize the effective cross-section.
You can display the effective cross-sections graphically.
Read more about designing cold-formed sections with SHAPE-THIN and RF-/STEEL Cold-Formed Sections in this technical article: Design of a Thin-Walled, Cold-Formed C-Section According to EN 1993-1-3.
- Where do I find the setting to specify the entered structural component as a "wall" or "slab"?
- I would like to convert the load from a surface load to a line load, that is, to apply it to the individual beams. How can I do this without using an auxiliary area?
- Is it possible to transfer properties, such as the cross-section, or the surface thickness as well as the material of a surface, of an existing element to a new element?
- Is it possible to set user-defined values when viewing solid stress results?
- How are the signs for the release results of a line release and line hinges interpreted?
- How can I create a curved or arched section?
- How can I get the member end forces to design the connections?
- I would expect the results from my load combination (CO) set to a linear analysis to equal the summation of the results from my load cases (LC) also set to a linear analysis. Why do the results not match?
- A rigid member should only be able to absorb tensile forces or only compressive forces. What are the options for considering these nonlinearities in the calculation?
- In a 3D model consisting of three identical floors, I applied a unit load of 1 kN/m² to the top slab to determine the spring stiffness of the supports for 2D modeling of the slabs from normal forces and deformations of the columns. Despite the deactivation of the self-weight of the structure, there is a redistribution of the column normal forces by storey. Is it possible to deactivate this effect?