Interesting customer projects designed with the structural analysis programs by Dlubal Software.
RF-/TIMBER AWC Add-on Module for RFEM/RSTAB
Design of Timber Members and Sets of Members According to ANSI/AWC NDS
The RF-/TIMBER AWC add‑on module perform designs of the ultimate limit state, serviceability limit state, and fire resistance according to the American standards ANSI/AWC NDS‑2012 and ANSI/AWC NDS‑2015. It covers design methods according to:
- Load and Resistance Factor Design (LRFD)
- Allowable Stress Design (ASD)
In addition to stress designs, RF‑/TIMBER AWC performs stability analysis of members according to the equivalent member method or second‑order analysis. Furthermore, it is possible to carry out the serviceability limit state and fire resistance designs (ASD).
- Design of members and sets of members for tension, compression, bending, shear, and combined internal forces
- Stability analysis of buckling and lateral-torsional buckling according to the Equivalent Member Method or second-order analysis
- Serviceability limit state design by limitation of deflections
- Design of tapered and curved beams consisting of glulam timber
- Free setting of charring time and rates as well as free selection of charring sides for fire resistance design
- Material and cross-section library based on the supplement to the standard ANSI/AWC NDS-2015, including adjustment factors
- User-defined entry of rectangular and circular cross-sections
- Automatic cross-section optimization
- Optional import of buckling lengths from the RF-STABILITY/RSBUCK module
- Detailed result documentation referring to the standard design equations used
- Various filtering and sorting options of results
- Consideration of temperature effects and moisture service conditions
- Visualization of design criterion on RFEM/RSTAB model
- Data export to MS Excel
- Metric and imperial units
After opening the add-on module, it is necessary to select the members/sets of members, load cases, load or result combinations for the ultimate limit state, serviceability limit state and fire resistance design (only ASD). Also, you can select the design method (ASD or LRFD). The materials from RFEM/RSTAB are preset and can be adjusted in RF-/TIMBER AWC. Material properties listed in the respective standard are included in the material library.
When checking the cross-sections, you can specify whether to apply the design values of the relevant standard, or user-defined values. Then, you can consider the load duration classes (LDC), temperature effects, and moisture service conditions.
The deformation analysis requires the reference lengths of the relevant members and sets of members. Furthermore, you can define a specific direction of deflection, precamber and beam type.
For fire resistance design, you can define charring sides of member or set of members.
The cross-section resistance design analyzes tension and compression along the grain, bending, bending and tension/compression as well as the strength in shear due to shear force.
The design of structural components at risk of buckling and lateral buckling is performed according to the Equivalent Member Method and considers the systematic axial compression, bending with and without compressive force as well as bending and tension. Deflection of inner spans and cantilevers is compared with the maximum allowable deflection.
Separate design cases allow flexible analysis of the selected members, sets of members, and actions as well as for the individual stability analysis.
Design-relevant parameters such as load duration in case of fire, member slendernesses, and limit deflection can be freely adjusted.
After the calculation, the module displays results in clearly-arranged result tables. All intermediate values (such as governing internal forces, modification factors, and others) are included, providing a transparent design process. The results are listed by load case, cross-section, member, and set of members. If the calculation fails, you can modify the relevant cross-sections in an optimization process.
Stress ratios are represented on the RFEM/RSTAB model by different colors in order to immediately recognize overdesigned or critical areas of the model. Result diagrams of members and sets of members allow for a targeted evaluation.
In addition to the input and result data in tables, you can add all graphics into the global printout report. In this way, coherent and clearly arranged documentation is ensured. The report contents and the extent of the results can be selected specifically for the individual designs.
Do you have any questions about our products? Do you need advice for your current project?
Contact us or find various suggested solutions and useful tips on our FAQ page.
PRICE for RFEM (VAT excluded)
RF-TIMBER AWC 5.xx
PRICE for RSTAB (VAT excluded)
TIMBER AWC 8.xx