Membrane Structure | Textile Sun Protection
Model to Download
Membrane roof construction
Model Used in
- Analysis & Design Software for Tensile Membrane Structures
- Software for Form-Finding and Cutting Patterns of Membrane Structures
- Views 511x
- Downloads 57x
- Updated 24 March 2021
The RF-FORM-FINDING add-on module determines equilibrium shapes of membrane and cable elements in RFEM. In this calculation process, the program searches for such a geometric position in which the surface stress/prestress of membranes and cables is in equilibrium with natural and geometric boundary conditions. his process is called form-finding (hereinafter referred to as FF). The FF calculation can be activated in RFEM globally in the "General Data" of a model, "Options" tab. After selecting the corresponding option, a new load case or a calculation process called RF-FORM FINDING is created in RFEM, and an additional FF parameter is available for defining surface stress and prestress when entering cables and membranes. By activating the FF option, the program always starts the form-finding process before the pure structural calculation of internal forces, deformation, eigenvalues, etc., and generates a corresponding prestressed model for further analysis.
Module analysis and design of a steel membrane structure for the roofing of a sports center in Fürth
Side view of the timber and steel structure of the airship with the 'umbrella' membrane (© Jan Slavík, DOX)
With the activated option "Topology on form-finding shape" in the Project Navigator - Display, the model display is optimized based on the form-finding geometry. For example, the loads are displayed in relation to the deformed system.
- I cannot define the prestress separately for warp and weft in RF‑FORM‑FINDING. How can I activate it?
- In connection with the calculation according to the large deformation analysis, I get significantly smaller deformations than for the calculation according to the linear static or second-order analysis. How is this possible?
- How is it possible to create the cutting pattern geometry for a decorative sticker on a biaxially curved membrane roof?
Can I export my cutting pattern?
- How do I model a suspended membrane roof structure with line supports?
- How do I model a tent roof with two cone tips?
- How can I get the member end forces to design the connections?
- I would like to calculate and design "temporary structures." What do I need for this?
- I have already divided my membrane roof into individual surfaces. Can I quickly create a cutting pattern from these surfaces?
- How is an inflatable object simulated in RFEM?