We provide hints and tips to help you get started with the RFEM program.
SVT 016 | Roof Membrane Form-Finding
First Steps with RFEM
This Short Video Tutorial displays how to design and calculate membrane structures with the RF-FORM-FINDING add-on module in RFEM. The calculation is performed according to the URS (Updated Reference Strategy) method.
Dlubal SVT RF-FORM-FINDING Form-finding Updated Reference Strategy (URS) Membrane Membrane structures Membrane surface Membrane construction Membrane stress Sun sail shade Roof membrane Short Video Tutorial Dlubal Short Video Dlubal Tutorial
Do you have any questions about our products or need advice on selecting the products needed for your projects?
Contact us via our free e-mail, chat, or forum support or find various suggested solutions and useful tips on our FAQ page.
Models to Download
Knowledge Base Articles
This paper is focused on the specific aspects of designing membrane structures which have specific requirements such as form-finding and cutting patterns generation. These topics are the focus of many research works and there are many methods proposed to achieve the desired results. However, in this paper these issues will be discussed more from the practical point of view than from the theoretical one. The paper will be followed by examples, which will complement the discussed topic and show the special attention required during the design process.
Product Features Articles
With the activated option "Topology on form-finding shape" in the Project Navigator - Display, the model display is optimized based on the form-finding geometry. For example, the loads are displayed in relation to the deformed system.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- How can I influence the sag of the found shape in RF‑FORM‑FINDING?
- I cannot define the prestress separately for warp and weft in RF‑FORM‑FINDING. How can I activate it?
- How can I get the member end forces to design the connections?
- Is it possible to calculate and design "temporary structures"? What do I need for this?
- I have already divided my membrane roof into individual surfaces. Can I quickly create a cutting pattern from these surfaces?
- How is an inflatable object simulated in RFEM?
- How can I define a material allowance at the edge of a cutting pattern?
- I have modeled a structure made of outer and inner cables as well as membranes, and get a message about instability or the error message "Jacobi matrix is not positive definite" in the RF‑FORM‑FINDING add-on module. What should I do?
- Why does the FE mesh of my conical membrane look like angular after the form-finding?
- How to model a cable net structure in using the RF-FORM-FINDING add-on module?