3D Structural & BIM Software
Modeling Using Layers
Layers are used for targeted modeling - in contrast to the direct DXF import of a structure where the entire model is transferred as converted nodes, lines, members, and surfaces. It is possible to use any number of layers in one structure. The background layers can be transferred to RFEM/RSTAB and also adjusted or created there.
Import of Layers
Before the import, it is necessary to check the conversion settings: In CAD programs, the global Z-axis is usually directed upwards. In RFEM, however, the Z-axis is directed downwards. So it is necessary to adjust the direction of the Z-axis for the import reasons. In addition, the length units can be adjusted as well.
Optionally, it is possible to specify an offset in order to shift the layer in RFEM. In the case of DXF files, a particular layer can be selected from the list of layers.
Use of Layers
The imported layer appears in gray in the workspace: The gray line model enables the input of nodes, lines, and members. The individual layer points can be selected using the object snap. It is possible to edit each background layer using the functions Move, Rotate, Mirror or Stretch.
Generation of Layers
The DXF file format transfers only the general properties of lines used in the model. One layer is used for each cross-section. It is not possible to transfer nodal supports, loads, and so on. There are several setting options available for the export of an RFEM structure as a line model.
Do you have any questions about our products or need advice on selecting the products needed for your projects?
Contact us via our free e-mail, chat, or forum support or find various suggested solutions and useful tips on our FAQ page.
Models to Download
Knowledge Base Articles
Product Features Articles
There are various tools such as the object snap, user‑defined input grids, and guidelines, which facilitate the graphical input of structural data. DXF files can be imported as line models or used as a layer in the background in order to use specific snap points.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- How can I display text for background layers?
- How can I quickly export a model including all loads into an EXCEL file and import it later?
- I would like to export the reinforcement of a slab in the Nemetschek format. However, no setting is available in the following window after selecting the surface.
- Does RFEM integrate with Autodesk Inventor?
- How can I import an IFC model into the RWIND Simulation environment?
- How can I create member eccentricities in RS‑COM?
- How can I create member eccentricities in RF‑COM?
- Is there an interface between LayPLAN by Layher and RSTAB/RFEM?
- Can I define nonlinear support conditions via the COM interface?
When trying to import a model from AutoCAD into RFEM, I am getting the error message "3DSOLID or REGION entity detected. Those entities are written in binary format, so import is not possible."
What does this mean?