New Nursery School Building in the Les Sablons District, Le Mans, France
This single-story, 11,840 ft² nursery school accommodates up to 70 children. The building property is also surrounded by playgrounds and other green spaces.
City of Le Mans
|Structural Analysis & Design||
The local political desire was to use sustainable materials for the new building. The district residents voted for a green roof to be included in the project.
The engineering office of ARTEMIS INGENIEUR assisted the project management team in the building design phases, including preliminary design, final design, project planning, and construction documents. ARTEMIS INGENIEUR designed the structure, including the lateral bracing and sizing of the building elements.
The exterior façades consist of timber panel walls. The interior load-bearing walls are designed with CLT panels.
The framework includes double glued laminated tapered beams, which support the green roof and multiple photovoltaic panels.
The structure was analyzed for ULS, SLS, and earthquake (low level of seismicity). The RF-DYNAM Pro add-on module for RFEM was used to perform a modal analysis and generate equivalent seismic loads.
Do you have questions or need advice?
Contact our free e-mail, chat, or forum support or find various suggested solutions and useful tips on our FAQ page.
In this article, the adequacy of a 2x4 dimension lumber subject to combined bi-axial bending and axial compression is verified using RF-/TIMBER AWC add-on module. The beam-column properties and loading are based on example E1.8 of AWC Structural Wood Design Examples 2015/2018.
RFEM/RSTAB add-on module RF-/JOINTS Timber-Timber to Timber | Design of direct timber connections according to Eurocode 5
RF-/DYNAM Pro - Natural Vibrations Add-on Module for RFEM/RSTAB | Determination of natural frequencies and mode shapes
RF-/DYNAM Pro-Natural Vibrations Add-on Module for RFEM/RSTAB | Determination of Natural Frequencies and Mode Shapes
RFEM add-on module RF-CONCRETE NL | Nonlinear reinforced concrete calculation for the serviceability limit state
RFEM/RSTAB add-on module RF-/TIMBER AWC | Design of members made of timber according to ANSI/AWC NDS-2015 (US standard)
RFEM/RSTAB add-on module RF-/TIMBER SANS | Design of members made of timber according to SANS 10163 (South African standard)
RFEM/RSTAB add-on module RF-/TIMBER CSA | Design of members made of timber according to CSA 086 (Canadian standard)
The cross-section resistance design analyzes tension and compression along the grain, bending, bending and tension/compression as well as the strength in shear due to shear force.
The design of structural components at risk of buckling or lateral-torsional buckling is performed according to the Equivalent Member Method and considers the systematic axial compression, bending with and without compressive force as well as bending and tension. Deflection of inner spans and cantilevers is compared to the maximal allowable deflection.
Separate design cases allow for a flexible and stability analysis of members, sets of members, and loads.
Design-relevant parameters such as the stability analysis type, member slendernesses, and limit deflections can be freely adjusted.
- Can I use RFEM to calculate a log house three-dimensionally?
- How do I display some results of all load cases in the printout report, but other results of the selected load cases only?
- I would like to carry out the flexural buckling design for timber components with imperfections and internal forces according to the second-order analysis. Is it sufficient to activate this in Details of the RF‑/TIMBER Pro add-on module or is it necessary to make additional settings?
- Can I design laminated veneer lumber with RFEM/RSTAB?
- How can I calculate a timber-concrete composite floor with cross-laminated timber?
- How do I create a frame joint with taper in JOINTS Steel - Rigid?
- Is it possible to save the structures of the manufacturer-specific cross-laminated timber plates in the RF‑LAMINATE add-on module?
- How is it possible to display the main support direction graphically in RF‑LAMINATE?
- Is it possible to create a second design case in RF‑LAMINATE?
- I have a model of a timber building, which I have transferred from Scia Engineer and adapted it into the RFEM program. The models should be the same; however, it can only be calculated in Scia Engineer while RFEM reports singularity. How do I edit the model to analyze it in RFEM?
Programs Used for Structural Analysis
Structural engineering software for finite element analysis (FEA) of planar and spatial structural systems consisting of plates, walls, shells, members (beams), solids and contact elements
Seismic and static load analysis using the multi-modal response spectrum analysis
Dynamic analysis of natural frequencies and mode shapes of member models