CIMU - ILE DE SEGUIN, France
The CIMU - ILE DE SEGUIN is part of the cultural center "La Seine Musicale" on Seguin Island (Ile Seguin) in Boulogne-Billancourt, a suburb of Paris. The CIMU houses a concert hall that can seat up to 1,150 people. The round facade is clad with glass on the outside.
Shigeru Ban Architects Europe, France
Jean De Gastines Architects, France
|Structural Analysis Timber Construction||
sblumer ZT GmbH, Austria
|Detailed Structural Analysis||
SJB Kempter Fitze AG, Switzerland
|Other Project Members||TEMPO – Ile Seguin, Departement Hauts-de-Seine|
At the top of the wooden structure includes a photovoltaic sail which moves around the CIMU following the sun's path. The Dlubal customer sblumer ZT GmbH from Austria provided the timber engineering and design. The structural frame and truss analysis software RSTAB was used for the structural analysis.
The three-dimensional freeform structure of the CIMU is composed of glued-laminated timber. A total of 22955 ft³ double curvature glulam beams were used. Visually, the wooden structure resembles a woven basket. The timber structure is mounted on steel columns which transfer the loads to a circular foundation.
The architecture of the new cultural center was made to resemble a cruise ship. The design is by the Japanese architect Shigeru Ban and the Frenchman Jean de Gastines. Both men previously designed the Center Pompidou in Metz which was also analyzed and designed in RSTAB.
Do you have questions or need advice?
Contact our free e-mail, chat, or forum support or find various suggested solutions and useful tips on our FAQ page.
Models to Download
Knowledge Base Articles
Product Features Articles
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- I would expect the results from my load combination (CO) set to a linear analysis to equal the summation of the results from my load cases (LC) also set to a linear analysis. Why do the results not match?
- A rigid member should only be able to absorb tensile forces or only compressive forces. What are the options for considering these nonlinearities in the calculation?
- How can I perform a stability analysis for a tapered member?
- How do I display the nodal displacements graphically?
- How does the activation of the precamber imperfection work?
- Are the models and presentations from Info Day 2020 freely available, and can you send them to me?
- Can I quickly optimize all cross-sections in my model by using internal forces?
- Why do I obtain great differences in results for both the deformation and the bending moments when applying inclination by using imperfection to a single member and an articulated set of members with the same total length?
- How can I enter or read out a response spectrum via the COM interface in DYNAM Pro?
- Are the models and presentations from Info Day 2017 freely available, and can you send them to me?
Programs Used for Structural Analysis
The structural engineering software for design of frame, beam and truss structures, performing linear and nonlinear calculations of internal forces, deformations, and support reactions