North Surrey Sports & Ice Complex, Canada
With an area of 110,000 ft², the North Surrey Sports and Ice Complex includes three ice rinks, event rooms, and restaurants, as well as outdoor areas.StructureCraft, a customer of Dlubal Software, was selected as the structural engineer and builder of the roof structure for this exciting local project in Surrey, Canada, after proposing a turnkey, value-engineered solution in late 2017.
City of Surrey, Canada
Francl Architecture, Canada
Lark Group, Canada
|Base Building Engineer||
|Roof Structural Engineer and Builder||
StructureCraft Builders Inc., Canada
Model data of a hybrid roof truss
StructureCraft worked alongside Francl Architecture, Bogdonov Pao, and Lark Group to engineer and build the hybrid timber/steel roof structure for the three rinks in North Surrey.
StructureCraft completed the design and procurement of the roof structure. Installation of the roof structure took 10 weeks, beginning in June 2018 and finishing in September 2018.
The long-span hybrid timber/steel trusses consist of a double glulam top chord, steel rod tension chord, and HSS king posts. There are 11 trusses per rink and the secondary frame consists of double-span prefabricated timber panels.
The StructureCraft engineers used RFEM for the analysis of each truss system, determining the main member stresses as well as performing a stability analysis using RF-Stability.
The complex is scheduled to open in September 2019.
Do you have questions or need advice?
Contact our free e-mail, chat, or forum support or find various suggested solutions and useful tips on our FAQ page.
In this article, the adequacy of a 2x4 dimension lumber subject to combined bi-axial bending and axial compression is verified using RF-/TIMBER AWC add-on module. The beam-column properties and loading are based on example E1.8 of AWC Structural Wood Design Examples 2015/2018.
I-joists in Timber - Discussion of current design practice and implementation in structural analysis software
Model (top) and 1st Mode Shape (Bottom) of a Hybrid Roof Truss in RFEM (© StructureCraft Builders Inc.)
I-Joists in Timber - Discussion of Current Design Practise and Implementation in Structural Analysis Software
- Where can I find the materials for the corresponding National Annexes in RFEM 6 and RSTAB 9?
- How does the "Orthotropic Plastic" material model work in RFEM?
- What is the meaning of the superposition according to the CQC rule in a dynamic analysis??
- Can I use RFEM to calculate a log house three-dimensionally?
- How do I display some results of all load cases in the printout report, but other results of the selected load cases only?
- Can I design laminated veneer lumber with RFEM/RSTAB?
- I would like to carry out the flexural buckling design for timber components with imperfections and internal forces according to the second-order analysis. Is it sufficient to activate this in Details of the RF‑/TIMBER Pro add-on module or is it necessary to make additional settings?
- How can I calculate a timber-concrete composite floor with cross-laminated timber?
- How do I create a frame joint with taper in JOINTS Steel - Rigid?
- Is it possible to save the structures of the manufacturer-specific cross-laminated timber plates in the RF‑LAMINATE add-on module?
Programs Used for Structural Analysis
Structural engineering software for finite element analysis (FEA) of planar and spatial structural systems consisting of plates, walls, shells, members (beams), solids and contact elements
Stability analysis according to the eigenvalue method