Renovation of an Existing Water Tower into an Office Building
In 1936, a water tower holding 211,000 US gallons was built in Kladno-Rozdělov, Czech Republic. The existing and new supporting steel structure was repurposed as the new VKM a.s. administrative building.
Ing. Pavel Korejčík
Ing. Jan Mařík, Ph.D.
Ing. Jan Seifert
Water Tower Structure
The steel tower’s upper portion consists of eight main columns arranged in a regular 39 ft diameter octagon also including cross-bracing. In addition, the steel structure incorporates the auxiliary floor beams, a roof, and windows. The steel tank was placed in the area between the columns.
Project LocationU Vodojemu, Kladno-Rozdělov
Do you have questions or need advice?
Contact our free e-mail, chat, or forum support or find various suggested solutions and useful tips on our FAQ page.
The RF-/STEEL EC3 add-on module automatically transfers the buckling line to be used for the flexural buckling analysis for a cross-section from the cross-section properties. In particular for general cross -sections, but also for special cases, the assignment of the buckling line can be adjusted manually in the module input.
SHAPE-THIN determines the effective cross-sections according to EN 1993-1-3 and EN 1993-1-5 for cold-formed sections. You can optionally check the geometric conditions for the applicability of the standard specified in EN 1993‑1‑3, Section 5.2.
The effects of local plate buckling are considered according to the method of reduced widths and the possible buckling of stiffeners (instability) is considered for stiffened sections according to EN 1993-1-3, Section 5.5.
As an option, you can perform an iterative calculation to optimize the effective cross-section.
You can display the effective cross-sections graphically.
Read more about designing cold-formed sections with SHAPE-THIN and RF-/STEEL Cold-Formed Sections in this technical article: Design of a Thin-Walled, Cold-Formed C-Section According to EN 1993-1-3.
- How can I create a curved or arched section?
- I would like to calculate and design "temporary structures." What do I need for this?
- I design a cross-section created in the SHAPE‑THIN program by using the RF‑STEEL EC3 add-on module, but the program shows the error message "ER006 Invalid type of c/t-part for cross-section of type General." What can I do?
- Which Dlubal Software programs are required to calculate membrane and tensile structures?
- I would like to analyze cable and tensile structures. Is it possible to use RFEM or RSTAB for this?
- Are the Dlubal Software programs suitable for the analysis and design of hydraulic steel structures?
- I would like to perform a stability analysis of the upper flange in a long truss. What is the best way to proceed?
- How does the activation of the precamber imperfection work?
- Are the models and presentations from Info Day 2020 freely available, and can you send them to me?
- I perform a stability analysis of a beam for lateral-torsional buckling. Why is the modified reduction factor χLT,mod used in the design according to DIN EN 1993‑1‑1, 6.3.3 Method 2? Is it possible to deactivate this?
Programs Used for Structural Analysis
Structural engineering software for finite element analysis (FEA) of planar and spatial structural systems consisting of plates, walls, shells, members (beams), solids and contact elements