Renovation of an Existing Water Tower into an Office Building, Czech Republic
In 1936, a water tower holding 211,000 US gallons was built in Kladno-Rozdělov, Czech Republic. The existing and new supporting steel structures were repurposed as the new VKM a.s. administrative building.
Ing. Pavel Korejčík
Ing. Jan Mařík, Ph.D.
Ing. Jan Seifert
Water Tower Structure
The steel tower’s upper portion consists of eight main columns arranged in a regular 39 ft diameter octagon, including cross-bracing. In addition, the steel structure incorporates the auxiliary floor beams, a roof, and windows. The steel tank was placed in the area between the columns.
Description of the Renovation
Project LocationU Vodojemu, Kladno-Rozdělov
Do you have questions or need advice?
Contact our free e-mail, chat, or forum support or find various suggested solutions and useful tips on our FAQ page.
Schematic representation of the temperature -time curve according to the simplified natural fire model
Schematic representation of the temperature-time curve according to the simplified natural fire model
SHAPE-THIN determines the effective cross-sections according to EN 1993-1-3 and EN 1993-1-5 for cold-formed sections. You can optionally check the geometric conditions for the applicability of the standard specified in EN 1993‑1‑3, Section 5.2.
The effects of local plate buckling are considered according to the method of reduced widths and the possible buckling of stiffeners (instability) is considered for stiffened sections according to EN 1993-1-3, Section 5.5.
As an option, you can perform an iterative calculation to optimize the effective cross-section.
You can display the effective cross-sections graphically.
Read more about designing cold-formed sections with SHAPE-THIN and RF-/STEEL Cold-Formed Sections in this technical article: Design of a Thin-Walled, Cold-Formed C-Section According to EN 1993-1-3.
- I design a cross-section created in the SHAPE‑THIN program by using the design add-on module, but the program shows the error message "ER006 Invalid type of c/t-part for cross-section of type General." What can I do?
- Why are some load cases displayed in red in RF‑STEEL EC3?
- Why are the equivalent member designs grayed out in the Stability tab when activating the plastic designs by using the partial internal force method (RF‑/STEEL Plasticity)?
- Is it possible to transfer properties, such as the cross-section, or the surface thickness as well as the material of a surface, of an existing element to a new element?
- How can I create a curved or arched section?
- I would like to calculate and design "temporary structures." What do I need for this?
- Which Dlubal Software programs are required to calculate membrane and tensile structures?
- Are the Dlubal Software programs suitable for the analysis and design of hydraulic steel structures?
- I would like to analyze cable and tensile structures. Is it possible to use RFEM or RSTAB for this?
- I would like to perform a stability analysis of the upper flange in a long truss. What is the best way to proceed?
Programs Used for Structural Analysis
Structural engineering software for finite element analysis (FEA) of planar and spatial structural systems consisting of plates, walls, shells, members (beams), solids and contact elements