ASCE 7 Seismic Load Combinations
- FAQ 5323, "My ASCE 7 generated seismic load combinations combine the X and Y directions in the same CO. How do I change this to independent directions only?"
Unable to find the answer to your question? Contact us via phone, email, chat, or forum, or send us your question directly through our online form.Submit Individual Question
The effects due to snow load are described in the American standard ASCE/SEI 7-16 and in Eurocode 1, Parts 1 through 3. These standards are implemented in the new RFEM 6 program and the Snow Load Wizard, which serves to facilitate the application of snow loads. In addition to this, the most recent generation of the program allows the construction site to be specified on a digital map, thus allowing the snow load zone to be imported automatically. These data are, in turn, used by the Load Wizard to simulate the effects due to the snow load.
- My live load is less than or equal to 100 psf. How do I consider the reduced load factor in the ASCE 7 load combinations?
- How do I apply the ASCE 7 Orthogonal Directional Combination procedure (100% + 30% rule) to my seismic load in a static analysis?
The load distribution on my members looks different when using the Load Transfer surface vs. the Load Wizards. What is the reason?
- I received an error message “Surface of incompatible type... (Surface in upper plane of building story must be of ‘Load transfer’ type)” when running the calculation. What is the reason?
- My beam has a continuous lateral support and therefore lateral torsional buckling (LTB) is not a concern. How do I define the effective length?
How can I efficiently define line hinges on several surfaces?
- How do I include the overstrength factor(s), Ωo in the ASCE 7 load combinations?
- How do I include the overstrength factor(s) Ωo in the ASCE 7 load combinations?
- How do I include the redundancy factor(s) ρ in the ASCE 7 load combinations?
- How do I create an imperfection based on a mode shape in RFEM 6?