Passive House Made of Timber in Lugo, Spain
Dlubal customer Maderas Besteiro is a third-generation family-owned company focusing on timber-based construction and manufacturing. The company's driving value of providing socially and environmentally sustainable houses to the local community has shown itself once again.
Jorge Gómez Cereijo
This one-story house, made of cross-laminated and glued laminated timber, will be awarded a prestigious certification for passive houses, a symbol of high quality standards in terms of energy efficiency and CO2 consumption.
Structure and Design
The house has an irregular floor plan and is based on a reinforced concrete floor slab. The wall and roof structures are made of cross-laminated timber. The roof structure is reinforced with class GL24h glulam beams to define a special inverted roof with sharp cantilevers standing out of the façade. In order to achieve high spans, the timber beams had to be reinforced with steel beams in some locations of the roof.
The RFEM finite element program was used to simulate the structural behavior of the entire system, including line hinges between the cross-laminated timber panels and the elastic foundation under the floor slab. The design according to the standard was performed with the add-on modules RF-LAMINATE and RF-CONCRETE Surfaces in order to optimize the thicknesses.
It was necessary to create a local model to evaluate the connection between the steel and timber beams on the cantilevers and to analyze the resistance of the fasteners (pulling out) under specific situations, such as wind pressure and suction.
Project LocationFerreira Mosteiro
Do you have questions or need advice?
Contact our free e-mail, chat, or forum support or find various suggested solutions and useful tips on our FAQ page.
- How do I apply wind load on members of open structures?
- Is it also possible to use RF‑/TOWER Loading without the other TOWER add-on modules?
- I do not want to design a cross-section in the RF‑/STEEL EC3 add-on module. Can I quickly remove this cross-section from the selection?
- I have a roof structure resting on a steel column that runs to the foundations. The column runs through a perimeter wall that supports the false ceiling. A considerable part of the load from the roof is transferred to the wall. I want the steel column to carry all the vertical loads from the roof. How can I do it?
- Are the models and presentations from Info Day 2018 freely available, and can you send them to me?
- I encountered a sharing violation while importing a dxf file into SHAPE-THIN. What is the issue?
- In RF‑CONCRETE Surfaces, I obtain a high amount of reinforcement in relation to a lever arm that is almost zero. How is such a small lever arm of internal forces created?
- How can I display membrane stresses in the results of RF‑STEEL Surfaces?
- How does the "Orthotropic Plastic" material model work in RFEM?
- What is the meaning of the superposition according to the CQC rule in a dynamic analysis??
Programs Used for Structural Analysis
Module Extension for STEEL EC3 and RF-STEEL AISC
Structural engineering software for finite element analysis (FEA) of planar and spatial structural systems consisting of plates, walls, shells, members (beams), solids and contact elements
Design of reinforced concrete members and surfaces (plates, walls, planar structures, shells)
Deflection analysis and stress design of laminate and sandwich surfaces
Stress analysis of steel surfaces and members