Using Member Hinges with Clearance
To simulate a support clearance in a connection between members, you can use the "Diagram" function for member hinges. To use this function, first define the according degree of freedom as release. Then, you can select the "Diagram" function form the drop‑down list.
The picture shows an example for the usage of such a clearance. A beam on two supports is connected in the middle by another member that is also supported on its end.
The connection between the beam and the secondary beam has been realized with a member hinge with clearance. Due to this clearance, no torsional moment is reached in the main beam in load combinations 1 and 2. In load combination 3, only the load was increased. Because the support clearance is now fully utilized and the member transfers the full force, the main beam is subjected to torsion.
Dipl.-Ing. Thomas Günthel
Mr. Günthel provides technical support for our customers.
- Useful Tools for Fast Generation of Structures in RFEM
- Useful Tools for Fast Generation of Structures in RSTAB
Do you have questions or need advice?
Contact our free e-mail, chat, or forum support or find various suggested solutions and useful tips on our FAQ page.
Depending on stiffness, mass, and damping, structures react differently to wind action.
- Why is no support force displayed even though I have bedded the member?
Is it possible to change the font size of dimensions?
Which units are specified in the result display of the support reactions (kN or kN/m)? A note about this is missing in the graphic.
In the case that the support reactions are given in kN/m, for which distance does the value apply?
- I design a cross-section created in the SHAPE‑THIN program by using the RF‑STEEL EC3 add-on module, but the program shows the error message "ER006 Invalid type of c/t-part for cross-section of type General." What can I do?
- I would like to calculate a multi-span beam. Is it possible to automatically apply imposed loads by span (for the design of the largest supporting moment and moment in the span)?
How the shear deformation of a member can be taken into account?
Is it possible to calculate American steel cross-sections?
How can I only display cross-section names in the panel for cross-section colors, without the standard and steel grade?
- How can I adjust the sheet size for a printout report?
- How can I consider a sway bracing in CRANEWAY?
Structural engineering software for finite element analysis (FEA) of planar and spatial structural systems consisting of plates, walls, shells, members (beams), solids and contact elements
The structural engineering software for design of frame, beam and truss structures, performing linear and nonlinear calculations of internal forces, deformations, and support reactions