Timber Roof of Shopping Mall, Italy
In 2018, Alì Supermercati decided to extend its existing regional commercial network with a new shopping mall located in Via Noalese, Treviso, Italy. The project, designed by Studio Signorotto Architettura of Treviso, includes a glued laminated timber roof, which integrates with the area’s existing wood structures, characterized by a perfect aesthetic design and quality building material.
Via Olanda 2 - 35127 Padua, Italy
Via Riccati 7 - 31100 Treviso, Italy
|Structural Design and Timber Construction||
Holz Albertani SpA
Loc. Forno Allione - 25040 Berzo Demo, Italy
Holz Albertani SpA, an Italian leader in timber construction, was awarded the construction and structural design contract for the timber roof supported by reinforced concrete columns. The 72,118 ft² area roof includes trusses connected transversely with stabilizing members in two main directions and a glued laminated timber decking.
The Holz Albertani SpA engineering office completed the structural design while taking into consideration the architectural requirements set by Signorotto Architects. RFEM structural analysis software and the RF-LAMINATE and RF-DYNAM Pro add-on modules were used in the design calculation for the orthotropic roof surface to evaluate the static analysis in combination with dynamic loads. As the detailed structural design harmonized perfectly with the architectural requirements, the roof was assembled in a relatively short period of time while keeping construction issues to a minimum.
The main structure includes trusses with a maximum span of about 66 ft between the supporting columns. The roof set on the main trusses consists of a 3 5⁄32-inch-thick glued laminated timber slab. The timber members are connected along the trusses as well as to the exterior reinforced concrete frame.
The finished structure includes not only high aesthetic and functional quality, but is also designed to meet the current seismic design requirements.
Project LocationVia Noalese, 110
Do you have questions or need advice?
Contact our free e-mail, chat, or forum support or find various suggested solutions and useful tips on our FAQ page.
In this article, the adequacy of a 2x4 dimension lumber subject to combined bi-axial bending and axial compression is verified using RF-/TIMBER AWC add-on module. The beam-column properties and loading are based on example E1.8 of AWC Structural Wood Design Examples 2015/2018.
- How does the "Orthotropic Plastic" material model work in RFEM?
- What is the meaning of the superposition according to the CQC rule in a dynamic analysis??
- Can I use RFEM to calculate a log house three-dimensionally?
- How do I display some results of all load cases in the printout report, but other results of the selected load cases only?
- I would like to carry out the flexural buckling design for timber components with imperfections and internal forces according to the second-order analysis. Is it sufficient to activate this in Details of the RF‑/TIMBER Pro add-on module or is it necessary to make additional settings?
- Can I design laminated veneer lumber with RFEM/RSTAB?
- How can I calculate a timber-concrete composite floor with cross-laminated timber?
- Is it possible to save the structures of the manufacturer-specific cross-laminated timber plates in the RF‑LAMINATE add-on module?
- How is it possible to display the main support direction graphically in RF‑LAMINATE?
- Is it possible to create a second design case in RF‑LAMINATE?
Programs Used for Structural Analysis
Structural engineering software for finite element analysis (FEA) of planar and spatial structural systems consisting of plates, walls, shells, members (beams), solids and contact elements
Dynamic analysis of natural frequencies and mode shapes of member, surface, and solid models
Seismic and static load analysis using the multi-modal response spectrum analysis
Deflection analysis and stress design of laminate and sandwich surfaces
Timber design according to Eurocode 5, SIA 265 and/or DIN 1052