CLT Residential Building in Girona, Spain
EGOIN SA was awarded a timber design project for 35 new CLT apartments in Girona, Spain. Cross-laminated timber (CLT) was selected as the building material due to its sustainability, ability to filter CO2, and architectural design freedom.
Blazquez Guanter SLP
Estudi M103 SLPEGOIN
Additionally, the complete prefabrication of the CLT panels reduced the assembly time to only 6 weeks. Thermal bridging was also reduced, which increased the moisture control of the panels to ensure an optimal indoor climate.
Dlubal customers EGOIN and Estudi M103 SLP cooperated in the design process under the responsibility of Blazquez Guanter SLP. The RFEM program, including the add-on module RF-LAMINATE, was used to consider the orthotropic stiffness and strength for the structural analysis and design. CLT has the capacity to withstand bidirectional loads, which helps to increase the stiffness compared to a uniaxial structural system.
In RFEM, line hinges based on the actual connection stiffness and nonlinear behavior could easily be considered. The line force diagrams were also produced in RFEM for further consideration in the RF-LIMITS add-on module when designing the connections. The RF-DYNAM Pro add-on module was utilized to calculate the natural vibrations and to perform a modal response spectrum analysis according to the Spanish standard NCSE-02.
Do you have questions or need advice?
Contact our free e-mail, chat, or forum support or find various suggested solutions and useful tips on our FAQ page.
In this article, the adequacy of a 2x4 dimension lumber subject to combined bi-axial bending and axial compression is verified using RF-/TIMBER AWC add-on module. The beam-column properties and loading are based on example E1.8 of AWC Structural Wood Design Examples 2015/2018.
Influence of Shear Deformation on the Total Deformation for Single-Span Beams with a Rectangular Cross-Section
- How does the "Orthotropic Plastic" material model work in RFEM?
- What is the meaning of the superposition according to the CQC rule in a dynamic analysis??
- Can I use RFEM to calculate a log house three-dimensionally?
- How do I display some results of all load cases in the printout report, but other results of the selected load cases only?
- I would like to carry out the flexural buckling design for timber components with imperfections and internal forces according to the second-order analysis. Is it sufficient to activate this in Details of the RF‑/TIMBER Pro add-on module or is it necessary to make additional settings?
- Can I design laminated veneer lumber with RFEM/RSTAB?
- How can I calculate a timber-concrete composite floor with cross-laminated timber?
- Is it possible to save the structures of the manufacturer-specific cross-laminated timber plates in the RF‑LAMINATE add-on module?
- How is it possible to display the main support direction graphically in RF‑LAMINATE?
- Is it possible to create a second design case in RF‑LAMINATE?
Programs Used for Structural Analysis
Structural engineering software for finite element analysis (FEA) of planar and spatial structural systems consisting of plates, walls, shells, members (beams), solids and contact elements
Timber design according to Eurocode 5, SIA 265 and/or DIN 1052
Deflection analysis and stress design of laminate and sandwich surfaces
Dynamic analysis of natural frequencies and mode shapes of member, surface, and solid models
Dynamic and seismic analysis including time history analysis and multi-modal response spectrum analysis
Seismic and static load analysis using the multi-modal response spectrum analysis
Comparison of results with defined limit values