Roof Renovation for "Locanda alla Posta" in Venice, Italy
In 2017 Scaldaferro, a Torrone manufacturer in Dolo (Venice) and owner of the historic building "Locanda alla Posta", contracted Ri-Legno S.r.l., a leading company in timber reconstruction, to deal with the building's 55.7 ft x 52.4 ft timber roof.
Locanda alla Posta Srls
Via Cà Tron, 33
30031 Dolo, Italy
|Structural Planning and Construction||
Via della Cooperazione, 163-167
38123 Trento, Italy
|Architectural Design||Arch. Carlo dalla Pace|
Structural DesignThe Ri-Legno planning office designed the structural framework using RFEM structural analysis software and the add-on modules RF-DYNAM Pro for evaluating the structure's dynamic behavior and RF-TIMBER Pro for the load-bearing timber member design.
The roof geometry took into account the existing construction scheme: Piedmontese timber roof trusses (orditura alla piemontese) and Italian roof trusses (capriata all'italiana). The roof trusses have a span of approximately 55.7 ft and include struts providing intermediate support to the rafters. The rafters running perpendicular to the ridge line support the roof covering with slab-like hollow clay bricks as well as monk and nun tiles.
The truss beam joints were reinforced with steel elements to prevent the movement of structural components. Additionally, special consideration was given to the structure's placement process by developing an ad hoc model in RFEM to estimate the roof's stress state during lifting.
A unique feature of this roof renovation is that the 2,906.2 ft² roof was completely constructed on the ground (to ensure that construction under the roof could continue during this time), then lifted and placed as a block on the existing vertical masonry structure.
Do you have questions or need advice?
Contact our free e-mail, chat, or forum support or find various suggested solutions and useful tips on our FAQ page.
In this article, the adequacy of a 2x4 dimension lumber subject to combined bi-axial bending and axial compression is verified using RF-/TIMBER AWC add-on module. The beam-column properties and loading are based on example E1.8 of AWC Structural Wood Design Examples 2015/2018.
10-stöckiges Bürogebäude aus Holz und Beton | Palazzo Meridia, Nice, France | Architecture-Studio, France | www.architecture-studio.fr
RFEM/RSTAB add-on module RF-/TIMBER CSA | Design of members made of timber according to CSA 086 (Canadian standard)
The cross-section resistance design analyzes tension and compression along the grain, bending, bending and tension/compression as well as the strength in shear due to shear force.
The design of structural components at risk of buckling or lateral-torsional buckling is performed according to the Equivalent Member Method and considers the systematic axial compression, bending with and without compressive force as well as bending and tension. Deflection of inner spans and cantilevers is compared to the maximal allowable deflection.
Separate design cases allow for a flexible and stability analysis of members, sets of members, and loads.
Design-relevant parameters such as the stability analysis type, member slendernesses, and limit deflections can be freely adjusted.
- How does the "Orthotropic Plastic" material model work in RFEM?
- What is the meaning of the superposition according to the CQC rule in a dynamic analysis??
- Can I use RFEM to calculate a log house three-dimensionally?
- How do I display some results of all load cases in the printout report, but other results of the selected load cases only?
- Can I design laminated veneer lumber with RFEM/RSTAB?
- I would like to carry out the flexural buckling design for timber components with imperfections and internal forces according to the second-order analysis. Is it sufficient to activate this in Details of the RF‑/TIMBER Pro add-on module or is it necessary to make additional settings?
- How can I calculate a timber-concrete composite floor with cross-laminated timber?
- Is it possible to save the structures of the manufacturer-specific cross-laminated timber plates in the RF‑LAMINATE add-on module?
- How is it possible to display the main support direction graphically in RF‑LAMINATE?
- Is it possible to create a second design case in RF‑LAMINATE?
Programs Used for Structural Analysis
Structural engineering software for finite element analysis (FEA) of planar and spatial structural systems consisting of plates, walls, shells, members (beams), solids and contact elements
Timber design according to Eurocode 5, SIA 265 and/or DIN 1052
Dynamic analysis of natural frequencies and mode shapes of member, surface, and solid models
Seismic and static load analysis using the multi-modal response spectrum analysis