Wittywood, Spain's First Timber Office Building in Barcelona, Spain
Dlubal customer Estudi M103, an architecture office for structural consulting and calculation reports, was commissioned to carry out the structural consulting of the first office building built entirely of wood in Spain, using Dlubal RFEM software. It is an office building with a ground floor and 4 above-ground stories, located on Calle Llacuna 42 in Barcelona. With this type of building, construction periods are shortened due to the use of new sustainable materials, and even carbon emissions are reduced by 50% during construction.
|Architects||F. Xavier Grinyó de la Peña and Xavier Ballarín Rubio|
Betarq Group (Ramón Cisa i Sagalés)
Estudi M103 (Jorge Blasco Miguel and Ferran Peralba Garrabou)
The above-ground structure is composed of gl24h glued laminated timber columns and cross-laminated timber (CLT) cores of a thickness of 120 mm. The floors are supported by gl28h double beams and are composed of prefabricated CLT panels of a thickness of 120 mm with gl24h ribs. The wood construction and engineering company Madergia, also a Dlubal customer, was responsible for assembling the structure.
For the calculation and design of the building, loading from self-weight, live load, wind, and snow was considered. They also checked the natural frequencies of the entire structure using RF-DYNAM Pro for dynamic analysis. For the calculation and design of the timber beams and columns, they used the RF-TIMBER Pro add-on module to perform both the ULS and the fire resistance design. Likewise, for the calculation and design of the CLT panels, they used the RF-LAMINATE add-on module, creating up to 9 panel configurations.
Do you have further questions or need advice? Contact us via phone, email, or chat or find suggested solutions and useful tips on our FAQ page available 24/7.
The effects due to snow load are described in the American standard ASCE/SEI 7-16 and in Eurocode 1, Parts 1 through 3. These standards are implemented in the new RFEM 6 program and the Snow Load Wizard, which serves to facilitate the application of snow loads. In addition to this, the most recent generation of the program allows the construction site to be specified on a digital map, thus allowing the snow load zone to be imported automatically. These data are, in turn, used by the Load Wizard to simulate the effects due to the snow load.
I-Joists in Timber - Discussion of Current Design Practise and Implementation in Structural Analysis Software
Development of the EDP Program for Damage Analysis of Timber Bridges Based on Vibration Measurements
Compared to the RF‑/TIMBER Pro add-on module (RFEM 5 / RSTAB 8), the following new features have been added to the Timber Design add-on for RFEM 6 / RSTAB 9:
- In addition to Eurocode 5, other international standards are integrated (SIA 265, ANSI/AWC NDS, CSA 086, GB 50005)
- Design of compression perpendicular to grain (support pressure)
- Implementation of eigenvalue solver for determining the critical moment for lateral-torsional buckling (EC 5 only)
- Definition of different effective lengths for design at normal temperature and fire resistance design
- Evaluation of stresses via unit stresses (FEA)
- Optimized stability analyses for tapered members
- Unification of the materials for all national annexes (only one "EN" standard is now available in the material library for a better overview)
- Display of cross-section weakenings directly in the rendering
- Output of the used design check formulas (including a reference to the used equation from the standard)
- How do I perform stability analysis to determine the critical load factor in RFEM 6?
- Where can I find the materials for the corresponding National Annexes in RFEM 6 and RSTAB 9?
- How does the "Orthotropic Plastic" material model work in RFEM?
- What is the meaning of the superposition according to the CQC rule in a dynamic analysis??
- Can I use RFEM to calculate a log house three-dimensionally?
- How do I display some results of all load cases in the printout report, but other results of the selected load cases only?
- I would like to carry out the flexural buckling design for timber components with imperfections and internal forces according to the second-order analysis. Is it sufficient to activate this in Details of the RF‑/TIMBER Pro add-on module or is it necessary to make additional settings?
- Can I design laminated veneer lumber with RFEM/RSTAB?
- How can I calculate a timber-concrete composite floor with cross-laminated timber?
- How do I create a frame joint with taper in JOINTS Steel - Rigid?