Champagne Bar - Goodwood Racecourse, United Kingdom
The LEICHT company was awarded the design phase for the Champagne Bar’s new roof, located at the Goodwood Racecourse. The planning steps included the form-finding process, the membrane and supporting steel structure approval and design, and the membrane and cable cutting patterns.
Tayio Europe GmbH
Hopkins Architects Ltd.
|Overall Planning of Steel Structure, Membranes, and Cables||
LEICHT Structural engineering and specialist consulting GmbH
Between the highest points and the lateral bracing, polyester straps were integrated, which transfers forces from the bracing to the steel structure while also providing redundancy to keep the structure’s stability in the event the membrane is damaged.
In RFEM, a global model was created for the form-finding process as well as for the membrane and supporting steel structure design. In order to comply with all the required clearance profiles and avoid the formation of water pockets, a very differentiated form-finding procedure was carried out in which individual components were given the desired prestress, others a defined length, and some were excluded from the form-finding process in order to adapt to the given boundary conditions according to their stiffness. The membrane fabric was modeled as an orthotropic surface.
Project LocationSelhurstpark Rd, Chichester PO18 0PS
Do you have any further questions or need advice? Contact us via phone, email, chat or forum or search the FAQ page, available 24/7.
'Gulliver' Wooden Airship Above DOX Centre for Contemporary Art in Prague, Czech Republic (© Jan Slavík, DOX)
- The load distribution on my members looks different when using the Load Transfer surface vs. the Load Wizards. What is the reason?
- I received an error message “Surface of incompatible type... (Surface in upper plane of building story must be of ‘Load transfer’ type)” when running the calculation. What is the reason?
- My beam has a continuous lateral support and therefore lateral torsional buckling (LTB) is not a concern. How do I define the effective length?
- How can I efficiently define line hinges on several surfaces?
- How do I include the overstrength factor(s), Ωo in the ASCE 7 load combinations?
- How do I include the overstrength factor(s) Ωo in the ASCE 7 load combinations?
- How do I include the redundancy factor(s) ρ in the ASCE 7 load combinations?
- How do I create a user-defined fabric?
- My live load is less than or equal to 100 psf. How do I consider the reduced load factor in the ASCE 7 load combinations?
- I do not see the seismic load cases in my generated ASCE 7 load combinations (COs). How do I add them?
Programs Used for Structural Analysis
Structural engineering software for finite element analysis (FEA) of planar and spatial structural systems consisting of plates, walls, shells, members (beams), solids, and contact elements
Form-finding of tensile membrane and cable structures
Design of steel members according to Eurocode 3