Column Substitution for Brandenburg Gate in Berlin, Germany
During the final days of World War II, a column segment of the Brandenburg Gate was severely damaged by grenade attacks. When the gate was reconstructed in 2002, the German engineering office of J. Sando in Weimar developed a method by which it was possible to substitute the column segment. The special supporting structure necessary for the substitution process was designed using RFEM.
Structural Engineering Office
Ingenieurbüro für Statik
Dipl.-Ing. Jörg Sando, Weimar, Germany
Structural Analysis (Testing)
Prof. Frank Prietz, Berlin, Germany
Betrieb für Bauwerkssicherung, Klettbach, Germany
CARO Restaurierung und Technologie GmbH, Berlin, Germany
EBK Ingenieurbüro für Bauwerksdiagnostik, Weimar, Germany
Stiftung Denkmalschutz Berlin by order of
Senate Administration for Science, Research and Culture of Berlin
Basic Technical Conditions
The structure load is transferred across masonry arcs into the columns. Lateral supporting is impossible without deconstruction. Engineer Sando has developed a method by which the load is redirected within the column. By constantly checking the force and displacement, it was possible to monitor the work steps at all times. Critical moments, of course, had to be excluded for this building.
Preparatory work for load increase was followed by mounting the hydraulic supporting structure step by step. The new center piece, which is exactly half of the column segment, was inserted after an intended vertical elongation of 0.2 in. With both side parts, it is now clearly discernible as the new segment. The method chosen was a great success.
Do you have further questions or need advice? Contact us via phone, email, chat, or forum, or find suggested solutions and useful tips on our FAQ page, available 24/7.
- How do I apply wind load on members of open structures?
- I do not want to design a cross-section in the RF‑/STEEL EC3 add-on module. Can I quickly remove this cross-section from the selection?
- I have a roof structure resting on a steel column that runs to the foundations. The column runs through a perimeter wall that supports the false ceiling. A considerable part of the load from the roof is transferred to the wall. I want the steel column to carry all the vertical loads from the roof. How can I do it?
- Are the models and presentations from Info Day 2018 freely available, and can you send them to me?
- How can I display membrane stresses in the results of RF‑STEEL Surfaces?
- What is the meaning of the superposition according to the CQC rule in a dynamic analysis??
- I am designing a set of members using the equivalent member method in RF‑/STEEL EC3, but the calculation fails. The system is unstable, delivering the message "Non-designable - ER055) Zero value of the critical moment on the segment".What could be the reason?
- How can I display the internal forces in the global coordinate system and not in the principal coordinate system of the cross-section?
- I want to create a mapped mesh for a circular hole plate. Is it possible to generate such a mesh in RFEM?
- I have a trapezoidal roof structure supported by beams. However, the moments on the beams are smaller than they should be. What could be the reason for this?
Programs Used for Structural Analysis
Structural engineering software for finite element analysis (FEA) of planar and spatial structural systems consisting of plates, walls, shells, members (beams), solids and contact elements