Membrane Roof Structure on the Banks of the Elbe in Dresden, Germany
Every summer, movie nights and other events take place on the banks of the Elbe in Dresden. The more than 55 film events and numerous concerts with national and international artists are attended by more than 200,000 guests.
PAN Veranstaltungslogistik und Kulturgastronomie GmbH
zapf & co. - Structural Engineering GmbH, Strausberg
Karsten Daedler e. K.
|Planning & Assembly Management||
StructureThe new membrane roof structure has a total area of 12,917 ft². The nine main curved trusses, spaced at 20 ft on-center, are made of glued laminated timber. They are supported on V-shaped steel tube columns.
The coupling and compression members for the longitudinal bracing also consist of steel pipes. The tension cables are round RD 16 sections. The structure is covered with a fabric membrane on the upper side of the glued laminated timber truss.
Do you have questions or need advice?
Contact our free e-mail, chat, or forum support or find various suggested solutions and useful tips on our FAQ page.
SHAPE-THIN determines the effective cross-sections according to EN 1993-1-3 and EN 1993-1-5 for cold-formed sections. You can optionally check the geometric conditions for the applicability of the standard specified in EN 1993‑1‑3, Section 5.2.
The effects of local plate buckling are considered according to the method of reduced widths and the possible buckling of stiffeners (instability) is considered for stiffened sections according to EN 1993-1-3, Section 5.5.
As an option, you can perform an iterative calculation to optimize the effective cross-section.
You can display the effective cross-sections graphically.
Read more about designing cold-formed sections with SHAPE-THIN and RF-/STEEL Cold-Formed Sections in this technical article: Design of a Thin-Walled, Cold-Formed C-Section According to EN 1993-1-3.
- When calculating a connection with the FRAME JOINT Pro add -on module, a message appears saying that the value is outside the allowable range (prev. Value: 108, min. Value 100, max. Value 100). What does this message mean?
- I have a trapezoidal roof structure that is supported by beams. However, the moments on the beams are smaller than they should be. What could be the reason for this?
- How can I calculate a timber-concrete composite floor with cross-laminated timber?
- Why are some load cases displayed in red in RF-STEEL EC3?
- Why are the equivalent member designs grayed out in the Stability tab when activating the plastic designs by using the partial internal force method (RF‑/STEEL Plasticity)?
- At which position are the determined support forces for the crane runway girder? At the bottom flange of the crane runway girder or in the shear center of the cross -section?
Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Pellentesque arcu. Nulla pulvinar eleifend sem. Fusce consectetuer risus a nunc.
- How do I create a frame joint with taper in JOINTS Steel - Rigid?
- Is it possible to save the structures of the manufacturer-specific cross-laminated timber plates in the RF‑LAMINATE add-on module?
My member is oriented at the inclination of principal axis when I import from SHAPE-THIN to a 2D RFEM model. How do I fix this?
Programs Used for Structural Analysis
The structural engineering software for design of frame, beam and truss structures, performing linear and nonlinear calculations of internal forces, deformations, and support reactions
Stress analysis of steel members