Timber Veil of TD Place Stadium in Ottawa, Canada
Following remodeling, the TD Place Stadium in Canada’s capital, Ottawa, can hold up to 24,000 visitors. The sports complex is located at Lansdowne Park and is primarily used for Canadian football and soccer. The architectural highlight of the stadium is the curvilinear timber veil.
|Client||City of Ottawa / Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group (OSEG)|
Moses Structural Engineers Inc. & Halsall
The Dlubal customer Moses Structural Engineers Inc. from Toronto, Canada wrote a pre-design feasibility report, worked in 3D to develop the preliminary geometry and detailed the design with supply, shipping, and installation in mind.
The engineers from Moses also developed the erection sequencing plan for the contractor and refined the shop details and drawings. The structural analysis of the steel-timber structure was carried out with RSTAB.
Structure of the Timber Veil
The structure consists of 24 curved glued-laminated members with varying lengths. The members are supported at the base with a pinned connection and fixed at the top by means of a tubular steel structure to the reinforced concrete structure of the stadium. Additionally, the steel diagonals stiffen the structure in the lateral directions. The curved beams are connected horizontally with multiple, smaller glued-laminated beams.
The elegant timber veil has received numerous awards including:
- 2014 Wood Design Award, Ontario Wood WORKS!
- 2014 North American Citation, Wood Design Award
- 2015 Award of Merit – Urban Elements, Ottawa Urban Design Awards
Do you have further questions or need advice? Contact us via phone, email, chat, or forum, or search the FAQ page, available 24/7.
Seismic Loads on Buildings in Germany
DIN EN 1998-1 with the National Annex DIN EN 1998-1/NA specifies how to determine seismic loads.
- I just have to calculate an open hall with low roof loads and, compared to them, relatively high wind loads. In theory, it is necessary to perform the lateral-torsional buckling design of the bottom flange. Unfortunately, the combination 1.0*G + 1.5*W is missing.
- How do I obtain the maximum column load in my RFEM 3D model?
- How do I create a splice connection in the Steel Joints add-on?
Programs Used for Structural Analysis
Structural engineering software for designing frame, beam, and truss structures, as well as performing linear and nonlinear calculations of internal forces, deformations, and support reactions