Mechanical Displacement System Design, Saint-Martin-de-la-Porte, France
The hydroelectric power plant project goal was to analyze the resistance of a double mechanical displacement system on rails subjected to tensile stress.
AGICEA, Orange, France
Groupe MOSCATELLI, Sorgues, France
Technical Details and Calculation
The model includes various solids with different materials (steel S235, S275, bronze, steel 42CD4). The rail is supported by clamping connections fixed on foundation plates. The entire system can be moved, with the four rollers fixed on a slide component and limited to displacement in the x- and y-directions. The entire frame structure is represented by double UPN sections.
Since no tension force was specifically defined, the model was calculated with an iterative method taking into consideration the Eurocode safety factor until the stability and elastic limit of each material was reached.
The decision was made to calculate each component as a solid model (3D FEA) to check each mesh point as well as whether the contact stresses and internal deformations would affect the behavior of the respective part. Additionally, the mesh was considerably refined.
After the calculation, the deformation was checked to ensure realistic results.
Then, each component was isolated from similar material elements to view the maximum von Mises stresses. Figure 03 displays the clamping connection and roller von Mises stresses.
The iterative calculations were completed until the stability or elastic limit of the material was reached to derive the maximum allowable tensile force in the system. This maximum allowable load was determined to be 1.41 tons.
In addition, the project calculation package has been published where all results, input data, and design checks can be reviewed.
Do you have questions or need advice?
Contact our free e-mail, chat, or forum support or find various suggested solutions and useful tips on our FAQ page.
Designing rigid end plate connections is difficult for four-row connection geometries and multi-axis bending stresses, because there are no official design methods.
The model is constructed by means of parameters for geometry and loads and regenerates when the parameters are changed.
- How do I display some results of all load cases in the printout report, but other results of the selected load cases only?
- How can I consider holes in steel members?
- Is it possible to set user-defined values when viewing solid stress results?
- Which Dlubal Software programs are required to calculate membrane and tensile structures?
- I would like to analyze cable and tensile structures. Is it possible to use RFEM or RSTAB for this?
- Are the Dlubal Software programs suitable for the analysis and design of hydraulic steel structures?
- I would like to use surface releases to model a bolt connection, which can only absorb compressive stresses from the support. Unfortunately, I cannot do this because my model is always unstable. Is there a model as a template?
- In connection with the calculation according to the large deformation analysis, I get significantly smaller deformations than for the calculation according to the linear static or second-order analysis. How is this possible?
- How can I display the contact stresses on a contact solid?
- "During the calculation of material non-linearity, the material with a decreasing branch of the diagram can be calculated with one load increment only." Why do I get this error?
Programs Used for Structural Analysis
Structural engineering software for finite element analysis (FEA) of planar and spatial structural systems consisting of plates, walls, shells, members (beams), solids and contact elements